Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Win7-Wrong folder permission

Under Win XP I never touched the permissions of a file/folder. I was happy with the way it worked. But recently, I have installed Windows 7 on a drive that previously hosted Windows XP (I installed Windows 7 on top of Win XP - XP is now gone). Now, some programs do not have 'read' and/or 'write' access to their own folders - and I am not talking about system folders like 'Program Files' but normal folders like 'C:\my data\my own folder\program folder'.
I see that for folders created under Win XP I have some user groups that do not exist for 'normal' folders (folders created by me recently under Windows 7).

For example, for the Win XP folder I have:
* Creator owner
* System
* Account unknown(S-1-5-21 blablabla...
* Admins
* Users

For Win7 folders I have:
* Authenticated users
* System
* Admins
* Users



Trying to delete the 'Account unknown' gives me:
Windows Security You can't remove Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-1220945662-706699826-839522115-1003) because this object is inheriting permissions from its parent. To remove Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-1220945662-706699826-839522115-1003), you must prevent this object from inheriting permissions. Turn off the option for inheriting permissions, and then try removing Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-1220945662-706699826-839522115-1003) again.



To solve this:

Add a "Authenticated users" group to those folders. You can watch other Win 7 folders to see how the permissions are set to "Authenticated users" group. To add this group, just press the 'Add...' button and in the last box (the largest one) write "Authenticated users" (without quotes) then press "Check names" button. If everything is OK, the "Authenticated users" text will get underlined. Press OK and wait for Windows to apply the permissions.
Now you will be able to access the XP folders like any other regular Win 7 folder.

Solution 2:
I have found that some junk is left behind if you are using the first solution. More exactly you will see an account called 'Unknown user' appended to all yuour old folders. The best solution is to rename the current folder for example from 'MyData' to 'Old', make a new folder using the original name ('MyData') and move all content from the old folder ('Old') to the new folder ('MyData'). The new MyData folder will have the correct permissions applied to it.



____________________

Recommended download:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment